If you are a freelancer, then you are also a business. Like every business, you need to promote yourself if you plan to make money. As a freelancer, anything you can do to develop a brand or otherwise distinguish yourself from the pack will be critical to your success.
Here are some favourite, tried-and-true methods for promoting yourself as a Makewejob freelancer to get more clients and win higher-earning jobs:
- Complete Your Makewejob Profile
As a seller on Makewejob, your profile is one of the first things a potential client will see, and depending on how much thought you put into it, it might be the last thing they see.
Make sure your profile stands out by completing every section and putting thought and effort into your personal description. Keep it professional but allow your personality to shine through.
- Don’t forget to add a profile photo, images, and a video. Profiles with these assets are more likely to get responses than those without.
- Showcase Your Best Work
Pick examples of your work that are compelling or attention-grabbing.
Did you write a piece that lands on the first page of Google? Were you published in a national magazine? Did you photograph a famous person? Did your short film win an award? Bring these shining examples of your work to the forefront and don’t be shy about tooting your own horn.
- Only about 35% of freelancers use an online portfolio to market themselves, so don’t be a statistic in this case
- Get a Personal Website
Creating a personal website is easier than ever and it is a great way to show off even more of your work.
Having a link to a personal website on your profile can let a potential client learn more about you. Whether you are ready to build an in-depth online portfolio or just put up a placeholder, having a personal website offers many benefits.
- 56% of hiring managers said they are most impressed by personal websites than other online branding tools
- Create a Logo
An eye-catching and colourful logo is key to developing a brand identity that you can promote online.
Develop a logo that represents your style. Having a visual symbol for your brand is a surefire way to create a memorable connection with your potential clients.
- The brain processes images 60,000X faster than it reads words
- Ask For Referrals
A few solid referrals on your profile page can go a long way towards giving a new client the confidence to hire you for a job.
Ask past clients if they would provide a brief recommendation that you can post on your profile.
- 84% of buyers start their purchasing decision with a referral
- Be Omnipresent on Social Media
Social media platforms like Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and LinkedIn are all powerful methods for promoting yourself online.
They can also be overwhelming and distracting! The key is to have active profiles set up for various social media platforms, but you don’t necessarily have to always post to each one. Pick one or two platforms that you like the best and use those accounts as your main avenue for promotion.
- 71% of consumers report that they are more likely to buy from brands they follow on social media
- Order Some Business Cards
You never know who you might meet in the checkout aisle or on an airplane.
It could be your next big client. Just as you plug yourself online, promoting yourself in the real world and attending local networking events is another powerful promotion tool.
- 39% of potential clients won’t do business with you if you have a “cheap” looking business card